I had been planning this for so long, and I’m so glad that I did it. It tastes delicious, is great fun to make, and if you’ve got a slow cooker, it’s so easy to put in the morning or night before you want it and just let it tick over.
1kg Beef Shin (bone in- cut into 1 inch thick slices)
500g Butternut Squash
Seasoned Flour for dusting
1 pint of Dark Ale
1/2 Pint of Rich Beef Stock (plus a little gravy granules for thickening)
- Brown the onions and carrots in a little butter and add them to your slow cooker
- Dust the beef shin in the seasoned flour and add to the pan to brown on both sides.
- Once browned, remove and add to the slow cooker
- De-glaze the pan with a small amount of the ale and add the juices, with the rest of the liquid and the vegetables to the slow cooker.
- For best results, cook on a slow heat (or slowly in the over at around 160c) for 6-8 hours or until the meat falls apart.
- Add some peas toward the end of the cooking time if you want- I love peas!
- Discard the bones and flake the rest of the meat.
- Serve with jacket potatoes or creamy mash and enjoy.