A Friday night favourite in our house! Something that I had been doing for years but it has become quite popular in recent times with tortillas rather than nachos, but my version has that extra crunch and the enjoyment of being able to eat it mainly by hand which I think makes it extra special.
Perfect for a cosy evening in, a date night or just to prepare a smaller version to stuff yourself with in front of a good film, this ticks all the right boxes.
2x Chicken Breasts – cut into bite size portions
1x Pepper – Sliced (I sometimes use Heritage tomatoes instead, deseeded, as the good lady cannot eat peppers in her current condition)
1x Red Onion – Diced
100g Bacon Lardons
150g Cooking Chorizo Sausage – Diced
1x Small Tin of Sweetcorn (or a good handful of frozen is just as good)
200g Sliced Mushrooms (optional)
Packet of Fajita Seasoning (Only use 1/2 a packet if you don’t want it too spicy)
Grated cheese (quantity is up to you- know one will judge you!)
- Fry the bacon lardons in a small amount of oil until golden brown. Add in the chorizo and lower the heat to release the oil in the chorizo.
- Add the chicken in now, but be sure not to crowd the pan, as you want the chicken to fry not boil.
- Once the moisture from the chicken has cooked away, add the onions (and a little more oil if necessary) and fry gently before adding the peppers and mushrooms.
- When the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables have softened, add the sweetcorn and stir all of the ingredients together before adding the fajita seasoning.
- Whilst the seasoning cooks out, line a square casserole type dish with a layer of nachos topped with salsa and grated cheese.
- Top this layer with the all of the chicken fajita mix, then top with another layer of nachos, salsa & cheese.
- Place into a pre-heated oven at 180c and cook until the cheese is melted and bubbling.
- Enjoy enormously!